Our Firm has experience in a wide array of entertainment and sports-related matters. We have represented artists, producers, and managers in contract formation, financing and intellectual property protection. We also have represented clients in litigation and pre-litigation involving intellectual property ownership disputes, sports-related injury claims, and entertainment-related business ownership disputes. Our team includes a former senior-level in-house counsel at a major motion picture company as well as seasoned former partners from AmLaw100 firms. Our team also includes board members on some of Chicago’s most respected cultural institutions. We offer sophisticated, efficient, and practical counsel on entertainment and sports matters.
Representative Matters by Lawyers in the Firm
- Represent public bond authority involved in producing major music events, including trademark and advertising advice, artists’ contracts and vendor agreements.
- Represent municipal corporation engaged in producing major music events, including trademark advice, counseling and registration, drafting co-branding and sponsorship agreements, and advertising advice and counseling.
- Represented creative videographer in dispute with former employer over ownership of intellectual property, including shop rights and creation of content outside of the employment relationship. Settled.
- Represented liability insurer plaintiff in a high-profile multimillion dollar product liability contribution claim. The lawsuit was filed following the death of a Northwestern University football player. The case settled during a jury trial prior to verdict after favorable testimony from four witnesses. United Educators Insurance Risk Retention Group v. Next Proteins, Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, No. 09-1-7407.
- Successfully defended a university through appeal in an action filed by a student athlete who suffered a cardiac condition requiring an implantable defibrillator and was denied participation by the team physician in NCAA Division I basketball in a claim brought under the Rehabilitation Act.
- Raised over $1 million in venture funding for a new media/internet company with an online-to-off-line film and television production business model.
- Oversaw all domestic and international litigation, as well as intellectual property disputes involving MGM, United Artists and other MGM subsidiaries.
- Represented five actors regarding high-profile published article concerning abuses at a local long standing theatre.
- Represented a Chicago-based musical group, negotiating a reality TV deal with Red Bull which aired on NBC. Further represented said group concerning band/partnership organization, individual publishing, recording, and other ownership rights, song splits, and disputes with former members.
- Represented a singer/songwriter in connection with licensing his musical composition and recording for a Super Bowl commercial for iRobot Corporation’s Roomba advertisement campaign.
- Represented a high-profile artist manager and publicist in connection with his management agreement with a legendary hip hop artist.
- Represented an award-winning turntablist/DJ in connection with contractual disputes.
- Represented professional session musician in connection to a dispute concerning copyright ownership in certain recordings.